For a chunky version, do not put through blender etc.
- Two soups in one
- Potage Parmentier, if Hot
- Vicyssoise, if Cold--
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (type used for mashed potatoes), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium leeks, white and 1-inch of pale green part only
- 4 cups chicken stock or commercial chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus 1/2 cup for chilled version
- Kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbls. finely snipped chives, for chilled version
In a medium saucepan, bring the potatoes, leeks and stock to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
In a blender, or processor, working in batches, of no more than 2 cups, puree the soup;or pass everything through the fine disc of a food mill.
Return the soup to the pot, stir in 1/2 cup cream, and heat through. The soup can be made ahead at this point and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Season with salt and pepper. If soup has been refrigerated and it is to be served hot, reheat. If serving cold, stir in additional cream and top each serving with chives.
Print this recipe
Source: Barbara Kafka
Submitted By: Eileen Werth
Potato and Leek Soup