It's "Naked Stew" because it has NO spices. It is THE favorite stew/soup in our firehouse. Simple ingredients, simple to prepare, and if you want to frou-frou it up, makes some soda bread.
- 1/4 lb. lean stew meat per person
- 1-2 potatos per person, cut in 4-6 pieces
- 1-2 onions, chopped small
- Real carrots, not the "rock tumbler" kind, about 1/2 as much as the potatos
- Guinness--- 1-1/2 to two pints
- Water, equal in measurement to the Guinness used, salted to taste (salt optional)
- Mushrooms, coarsely chopped, optional
- Some olive oil-- about 2T.
saute the onions (and mushrooms if used) in the oil. Remove onions/mushrooms from the pan. Add the meat, brown, don't overcook. Return the onions to the pan, add the vege, the Guinness and then an equal part of H2O to cover the vege. Simmer gently, never boiling, til the vegetables are tender.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Ursula Forhan
Guiness Stew aka "Naked Stew"