- 1/4 c butter or margarine *
- 2 garlic cloves, minced; or 1 t garlic powder
- 1 c fresh mushrooms; or 10 oz can, drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 c celery, finely chopped, 3 stalks
- 1/4 c bacon bits
- 4 c dry bread cubes diced 1/2 inch thick **
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1/4 t paprika
- 1/2 t poultry seasoning
- 1/4 t dried marjoram (or oregano)
- 2 t dry parsley
- 1/2 t ground sage
- 1 1/4 c stock (vegetable or chicken broth)
- * Replace with olive oil if desired.
- ** About 7 slices cut in 1/2 inch cubes, or use multi-grain bread for better flavor
Brown garlic in butter (or olive oil). Add mushrooms and saute. Add the rest of the vegetables and cook until they begin to soften. Stir bacon bits into mixture, then lower heat to medium and add bread cubes and seasonings.
Continue cooking for approximately 5 more minutes stirring continuously.
Add hot vegetable stock and mix well. Cover and cook over low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until bread cubes have broken down. (the secret to a good turkey stuffing is in the slow cooking and the frequent stirring).
Use as turkey stuffing and bake with turkey OR place in a covered
casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes in 350-375 degree oven.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Marlen
Turkey Stuffing Supreme