Serve over pasta of your choice.
- 4 (28 ounce) cans whole Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Chianti or dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 8 leaves fresh basil
- Coarse salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Purie the tomatoes in a food mill, removing most of the seeds. In a medium stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add garlic, and sauti until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. While the oil is sizzling, slowly add half of the puried tomatoes and the wine, stirring to mix. Add remaining tomatoes, reduce heat to low, and let simmer. Add the oregano, and continue to simmer until slightly thickened, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The sauce may be kept in the refrigerator up to 3 to 4 days in a covered container, or in the freezer for 1 month.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Marlen
Italian Red Sauce with Basil