- 3 dozen clams
- 1/4 pound thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 28 ounce can peeled plum tomatoes,
- chopped, with their juice
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley and thyme sprigs for garnish
1. Shuck the clams. Measure the juice, and add enough water to make 2-1/2 cups. Roughly chop the clams.
2. Cook the bacon in a large heavy pan until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Add the the onion and potatoes to the fat in the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the clam juice, tomatoes, and thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add the clams and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Serve hot, sprinkled with the bacon and garnished with parsley and thyme.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Marlen
Manhattan Clam Chowder