Recipe by Jo Anne Merrill
- 3 c All-purpose flour
- 1/2 ts Baking soda
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1 1/2 ts Ground ginger
- 1/2 ts Ground nutmeg
- 1/2 c Margarine; softened
- 1/2 c Light brown sugar; packed
- 1 Large egg
- 1/2 c Light molasses
- Dried fruit
1. Sift flour with baking soda, salt, ginger and nutmeg.
2. In large bowl of electric mixer, beat margarine, sugar and egg at medium speed until light and fluffy. At low speed, beat in molasses until smooth.
3. Gradually add flour, beating until well-combined and smooth. Form dough into a ball, wrap tightly and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
4. Divide dough into 4 parts and work with one part at a time, refrigerating the rest.
5. On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Use small gingerbread cutters or other cookie cutters about 2-1/2 inches around to cut out cookies. Use spatula to place cookies on lightly greased cookie sheets. Very gently, press small bits of dried fruit on dough to decorate.
6. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until browned. Do not overcook. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool. Continue with rest of cookie dough in same manner, greasing cookie sheet each time.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Teresa Johnson
T.M's Gingerbread Cookies