This is a basic recipe. Recipe can be varied by adding,toward the end, one cup of one of the following okra, cooked white beans, potatoes, green beans, etc...
- 1/2 chicken, cut up
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb fresh (or canned)Roma tomatoes chopped.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dried lime (or juice of fresh lime)
- 1 teaspoon ground toasted cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground toasted coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teapoon crushed red chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
1. In a heavy pan (dutch oven) brown chicken pieces in oil over medium-high heat.
2. Remove chicken pieces, and drain excess fat, leaving about one Tablespoon.
3. Saute onions until translucent. Add garlic, and contiue frying for another minute.
4. Add ginger, and remaining spices, and fry for another minute.
5. Return chicken pieces to pot, and add tomatoes, limes, and salt.
6. Simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes.
7. Serve on a bed of rice.
7. Serve over a bed of rice.
Print this recipe
Source: traditional stew from the Gulf region
Submitted By: Hani Khalaf