- Recipe By :
- Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
- Categories : Chocolate Tortes
- Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
- 6 Eggs, separated -- plus 2 egg
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar -- plus 1/3 cup
- 4 tablespoons Bourbon -- plus 2 teaspoons
- 2 1/2 cups Pureed unsweetend chestnuts
- 3/4 cup Ground pecans -- plus pecan
- peices for garnish
- 2 teaspoons Instant coffee
- 6 tablespoons Chilled buter -- cut into
- 1 1/2 ounces Bitter chocolate -- chopped
- 3/4 pound Bittersweet chocolate
- 3 1/2 cups Whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Confectioners' sugar
1. Make the cake: heat ove to 350.degrees. Grease and flour
2 nine-inch cake pans. Beat 6 egg yolks well. Stir in 1 1/2
cups sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons bourbon, then blend in 2 cups
chestnut puree. Stir in ground pecans. Whip egg whites with
a pinch of salt until stiff. Fold whites inot batter. Divide
mixture between the two cake pans and bake for 25 minutes. Cool
on a cake rack, then remove from the pans.
2. Make the filling: Beat the 2 egg yolks with 1/2 cup of sugar.
Add instant coffee and 1 T hot water. Beat Chilled butter into
mixture, then add 1/2 teaspoon bourbon and stir in remaining
1/2 cup chestnut puree. Stir in chopped bitter chocoalte. Cover
bowl withplastic wrap and refirgerate.
3. Melt bittersweet chocoalte with heavy cream over low heat.
Stir in 2 tablespoon bourbon, transfer to a bowl, cover with
plastic wrap and refirgerate.
4. To assembel cake, sperad the chilled chestnut filling atop
one cake layer and cover with the other. Cover the torte with
the chocolate icing and sprinklw with chopped pecan peices.
Chill before serving. MEanwhile, prepare a bourbon chantilly
to pass at the table. Whip the 2 cups of cream to soft peaks,
gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar and then fold in 2
tablespoons of bourbon.
From Chicago Tribune Magazine (cooking section)11-14-93. Featured
was - Cathy Cary, who with her husband, Will, runs a catering
business (La Peche) and a 94 seat restaurant (Lilly's) in Louisville,
KY. This issue's feature centered around buffet items for holiday
~- posted by Bud Cloyd
Print this recipe
Source: The net
Submitted By: Angel
Chocolate Chestnut Bourbon Torte w/a Kentucky Bourbon Cream