Serve the soup very hot, sprinkled with finely chopped cilantro or parsley.
- 1 x 6 oz (175 g) boned & skinned chicken breast
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2-3 scallions (spring onions) thinly slices diagonally
- 1 small red (bell) pepper, cored, seeded and sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 ozs (125 g) baby sweetcorn sliced thinly
- 1 3/4 pints (1 litre) chicken stock
- 7 oz (200 g) can sweetcorn niblets well drained
- 2 tbsp sherry
- 2-3 tsp bottled sweet chilli sauce
- 2-3 tsp cornflour
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, quartered and seeded,then sliced
- salt & pepper
- freshly chopped cilantro (coriander) or parsley to garnish
1.Cut chicken breast into 4 strips lengthways, then cut each strip into narrow slices across the grain.
2. Heat oil in a wok, swirling it around until it is really hot. Add chicken and stir fry for 3-4 minutes, spreading it out over the wok until it is well sealed all over and almost cooked.
3. Add scallions, bell pepper and garlic and continue to stir fry for 2-3 minutes, then add baby sweetcorn and stock and bring to the boil.
4. Add the corn niblets, sherry, and sweet chilli sauce and salt to taste and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
5. Blend the cornfloer with a little cold water, add to the soup and bring to the boil. Add the strips of tomato, adjust the seasoning and simmer for a few minutes.
Print this recipe
Source: The Complete Book of Chinese Cookery
Submitted By: Debbie Clift
Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup