The night before I want to serve this, I bake the potato crust and cook the sausage-onion mixture; refrigerate both. The next morning, I heat the sausage mixture briefly in the microwave, then continue with the recipe.
- 1 (24 ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/3 cup melted margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 pound bulk pork or turkey sausage (I like Jimmy Dean Sage flavor, but you may want to try a spicier one)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 slices American cheese, cut into small pieces (Or substitute about 1/2 cup grated Cheddar)
Lightly grease a 10-inch pie plate. (I use a deep pyrex one) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine thawed potatoes, melted margarine and bouillon granules. Press into bottom and up sides of prepared pie pan. Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
Meanwhile, cook sausage and onion in a skillet, breaking up sausage as it cooks. Drain off any excess fat. Stir in eggs, cottage cheese and cheese pieces.
Spoon into prepared potato crust. Bake 30 - 35 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before cutting. 6 servings.
Print this recipe
Source: My Files
Submitted By: Joy Bowers
Sausage-Hash Browns Pie