The family rates this one Four Stars.
- 1/2 pint shucked Oysters with their liquid
- 1/4 lb. fresh spinach,ready to cook weight,about 4 to 5 cups
- 2 tbs. butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tbs. finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups additional oyster liquid or bottled clam juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste,if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne
Drain the oysters and reserve both the oysters and their liquid.
Pick over the spinach and remove and discard any tough stems and blemished leaves. Wash and drain.
Heat the butter in a large saucepan or small kettle and add the onions and shallots. Cook,stirring until they are wilted. Add the flour and stir to blend.
Add the wine and all the oyster liquid,stirring rapidly with a wire whisk. Cook about 10 minutes,stirring often from the bottom.
Add the spinach and cook about 1 minute or so. Add the oysters and milk, and just bring to the boil. Pour the mixture into the container of a food processor or electric blender and blend thoroughly. Or,if you prefer,blend until the mixture is coarse-fine.
Return the soup to the saucepan or kettle. Add the cream,salt,pepper,nutmeg and cayenne. Serve hot.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
Print this recipe
Source: My files
Submitted By: Eileen Werth
Spinach and Oyster Bisque