- 1/4 c. oil
- 1 lb. boneless lamb shoulder cubes
- 1 broiler-fryer, cut up
- 2 lg. onions, quartered
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. dried coriander
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1/4 tsp. each: turmeric, black pepper, red pepper flakes
- Dash ground saffron, optional
- 3 med. red potatoes, quartered
- 3 carrots, quartered
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained
- 3 c. precooked med. grain couscous, see note
- SIMPLE HARISSA SAUCE:
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp. each: cayenne, ground cumin
- Coriander sprigs, lemon wedges for garnish
1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Add lamb cubes. Cook 5 to 10 minutes, until brown; remove with slotted spoon. Add chicken to pan; cook, turning 5 to 10 minutes, until brown. Add lamb, onions, broth, cinnamon, coriander, salt, parsley, turmeric, pepper and saffron. Heat to boil; reduce heat. Simmer covered, 30 minutes, or until meats are almost tender.
2. Stir in potatoes, carrots and zucchini. Simmer, covered, 15 to 20 minutes, until vegetables are fork-tender. Stir in beans. Remove 3 cups of the cooking liquid from pan with a ladle. Pour into a large saucepan; heat to boil. Stir in couscous; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.
3. For sauce, put all ingredients and 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid into blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Spoon cooked couscous over bottom of large serving platter. Pile meats and vegetables over couscous. Garnish with coriander sprigs and lemon wedges. Serve with harissa sauce.
NOTE: Couscous is available in specialty food stores. The medium grain precooked couscous (made by Near East Food products) is available in 1 pound boxes. If using uncooked couscous (couscouss de la Mauresque brand), follow package directions for cooking and use the cooking liquid from the pan as indicated above.
Print this recipe
Source: Personal Collection
Submitted By: I Dunno
COUSCOUS AND LAMB (Simplified)