- This colorful yogurt dessert from Maharashtra is one of the less sweet Indian offerings. It is simple to make and goes well with any assorted fruit in season.
- 2# container plain yogurt (I prefer full-milk yogurt for this dessert), drained to make 2 cups
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon saffron, or to taste
- 1/3 cup sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 tablespoons ground pistachios or almonds, optional
- Slivered pistachios or almonds to garnish
- Fresh berries, glazed apples or other fruit in season
- GLAZED APPLES
- 2 tablespoons dessert wine such as Orange Muscat (water can be used as well)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 small fresh apples, such as Princess, cored and cut into 1/8's
Hang the yogurt in cheesecloth or a yogurt strainer for 3 hours and drain off whey. Meanwhile heat the milk in a small saucepan or microwave and soak the saffron until the yogurt is ready.
When the yogurt is fully drained, combine saffron milk, cardamom, and sugar and add to the yogurt. Whisk until light. Add in the ground almonds, if using.
Put into large serving bowl or individual bowls, garnish with almonds, and leave to set in refrigerator for at least one hour.
Serve cold with fruit.
For Glazed Apples:
Combine wine, butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Heat until bubbly. Add apples and glaze until lightly browned, about 5 minutes (you do not want the apples to completely lose their shape).
Print this recipe
Source: OTI Cooking Class
Submitted By: KT Ellenbecker