- 2 egg yolks size 3
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence plus 2 TBsp caster sugar (or you may use 2 tsp vanilla sugar)
- 14 ounces/400grams mascarphone cheese
- 2 Tbsp brandy or coffee liquer
- 4 Tbsp strong black coffee
- 20 sponge finger biscuits
- 2 tsp cocoa powder sieved
- For The Mocha Cream
- 2 ounces/50gram plain chocolate
- 1 Tbsp coffee essence
- 1/4 pint/150 ml double cream
- 1 tsp icing sugar sieved
Place the yolks, castor sugar and vanilla in mixing bowl. Whisk until mix is thick and creamy. Add 2 Tbsp cheese and fold in gently. Gradually add remaining cheese, folding in gently to form a smooth, thick cream.
Place brandy or coffee liquer and coffee in shallow dish. Dip the biscuits for a couple of seconds. They need to absorb the flavor but still remain firm enough to prevent them from disintegrating, so only dip a few at a time.
Arrange alternate layers of biscuits and cheese mixture, finishing with cheese. Dust cocoa powder over and chill in refrigerator until set.
Break chocolate into small pieces and place with coffee essence in heatproof pan over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove from pan and cool 5 minutes.
Whip the cream until just beginning to form soft peaks, then gradually fold it into the cooled chocolate mixture. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Top just before serving and dust lightly with the icing sugar
Print this recipe
Source: Italian-British friend
Submitted By: B. Miller