Brodetto - Italian Seafood Stew Recipe
Ingredients:3/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 large onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons lemon zest
2 large cloves garlic, minced
3 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes with their juice
4 cups dry white wine
1 pound filleted fresh fish, cut into bite size pieces ( cod, flounder, haddock, etc.)
8 littleneck clams
1/2 pound squid, cleaned and cut into rings
1/2 pound shrimp, cleaned and deveined
Fresh basil, chopped
Directions:1. Bring vinegar to a lively boil, add onions and cook 15 minutes over low heat until onions are soft and transparent. All the vinegar should have evaporated at this point.
2. Add the olive oil and salt and pepper and sauti over medium heat until the onions turn golden brown.
3. Add the lemon zest and garlic and cook one minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and juice and cook on high heat uncovered for 5 minutes or until thick.
5. Pour in the wine and bring to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes until no raw alcohol taste is left.
6. Lower heat and bring the brodetto to a gentle simmer and begin to add the littleneck clams and the mussels. Then add the shrimp and the fish.
7. After approximately 10 minutes, when the clams and fish are nearly cooked, add the squid and cook for 3 minutes more.
8. Remove the seafood from the brodetto with a slotted spoon to warmed soup plates, dividing it up equally. Ladle the hot brodetto broth over the seafood and sprinkle with the chopped fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Serves 6 to 8 people.
This recipe is from Adrian Cyr, Executive Chef, at Adrian's Restaurant located in North Truro. ) 1997 Cape Cod Access at Shank Painter Co. Inc. Provincetown
Copyright © 2007 Epicurean.com
All rights reserved