Spanish rice with chicken--a favorite Sunday dish. Serve with plenty of ice cold beer.
- 1 chicken(3lbs.), cut up
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 pound cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon ground saffron
- 1 can(16 oz.) whole tomatoes, drained and cut up, Or 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, sliced
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, until brown all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer with tongs to a large flameproof casserole.
2. Add onion and bell peppers to skillet and cook until onions and peppers are soft. Transfer to casserole; add rice and sausage.
3. Add saffron, tomatoes, wine, oregano, cayenne, and chicken broth to skillet. Bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Pour into casserole. Stir to distribute rice evenly. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes, until chicken is tender.
4. Stir in peas and olives and heat through. Serve immediately.
Print this recipe
Source: 365 Ways To Cook Chicken
Submitted By: Linda Wilson
Arroz Con Pollo