A creamy, paprika-laced red bell pepper bisque such as this is just begging for a dollop of herby pesto on top, but feel free to serve it plain if you prefer.
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, soaked for 2 to 4 hours and drained
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked for 2 to 4 hours and drained
- 1 small shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 small jalapeno or serrano pepper, stemmed and seeded (optional)
- 1 cup Almond Milk (preferably unsweetened)
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 small or Vi large ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled
- 4 tablespoons Basil-Parsley Pesto (optional)
Combine all ingredients except avocado and pesto in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add the avocado and blend again until very smooth.
Make It Raw: Transfer the bisque to a large bowl or container and warm it in the dehydrator for 1 hour before serving. Alternatively, serve the soup at room temperature or chill it in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.
Make It Cooked: Transfer the bisque to a medium saucepan and gently warm it on the stove over low heat.
To serve, divide the bisque among 4 shallow bowls. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the pesto in the center of each bowl, if desired.
Print this recipe
Source: Practically Raw by Amber Shea Crawley
Submitted By: b smith
Red Pepper-Pistachio Bisque