Traditional gazpacho is thickened with bread, so the call for croutons in this recipe is not out of left field. A little spicy, a little tangy, and a little creamy: it's the best of the culinary world's soup bowl in a salad. To make this gluten free, use gluten-free croutons.
- 1 ripe tomato, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cucumber, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 ripe hass avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup croutons, homemade or storebought
In a medium bowl, combine the tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, garlic, oil, and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the seasonings to mingle.
To serve, divide the lettuce among four bowls and top each equally with the vegetable mixture. Top with avocado slices and croutons. Serve immediately.
CHEF'S TIP: If you don't have sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar on hand, use apple cider vinegar instead.
Print this recipe
Source: Everyday Vegan Eats: Family Favorites from My Kitchen to Yours by Zsu Dever
Submitted By: b smith