To increase the protein in this delicious stir-fry, add 8 ounces of extra-firm tofu, seitan, or steamed tempeh strips when you add the mushrooms. For a spicy variation, add 1 teaspoon of Asian chili paste to the sauce mixture. Enjoy alone or served over hot cooked rice or quinoa.
- 1 tablespoon neutral vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, cut into 14-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or natural sugar
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili paste or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and broccoli and stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms and continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes longer. Stir in the ginger and garlic.
In a small bowl, combine the tamari, lime juice, agave, and chili paste, stirring to combine. Stir in the cornstarch, then stir in the water. Pour the mixture into the skillet and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Serve hot.
Print this recipe
Source: More Quick-Fix Vegan: Simple, Delicious Recipes in 30 Minutes or Less by Robin Robertson
Submitted By: b smith
Spicy Ginger-Lime Portobellos and Broccoli