Watercress is the quintessential tea party veggie. Serving this creamy soup chilled, along with room-temperature finger sandwiches, is a nice counterpoint to all the hot tea you'll be sipping.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup very thinly sliced leeks (save a few slivers for garnish)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt (reserve about I tablespoon for garnish)
- 2 cups packed chopped watercress (save a few pieces for garnish)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large stockpot. Saute the leeks and shallot until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are very soft.
3. Carefully puree using either a blender or an immersion blender. Chill for several hours or preferably overnight.
4. Just before serving, garnish with an extra dollop of soy yogurt, slivered leeks, and fresh watercress.
Print this recipe
Source: Celebrate Vegan by Dynise Balcavage
Submitted By: b smith
Chilled Watercress-Spinach Soup