Cook's Note: The spice mixture can be made ahead and frozen. It can be frozen in one tablespoon amounts or as an entire batch.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 cups brewed, dark roast hot coffee
- 6 three-inch cinnamon sticks
- 6 dollops heavy cream, whipped, optional
In a small bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ground cloves. If not using immediately, cover and chill.
When ready to serve, divide the coffee among 6 warm mugs. Stir in 1 tablespoon of spice mixture or more to taste, into each mug, and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Top each mug with a cinnamon stick and a dollop of whipped cream if desired, and serve immediately. Serves 6.
Print this recipe
Source: Detroit Free Press
Submitted By: Linda Wilson
Hot Buttered Coffee