For such a simple recipe, this clear soup is very refined and I often serve it when we have company. If you prefer your soup heartier, just add some poached chicken.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup peeled, chopped, canned tomatoes
- 5 cups homemade or canned chicken stock
- 1 small handful of tender cilantro stalks with leaves, hand torn roughly
- 2 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, or more to taste
Heat the oil over medium heat in a stockpot.
Saute the onion and garlic for 2 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the black pepper, turmeric, cumin, and coriander and saute for an additional minute. Add the tomatoes, cover, and cook until the tomatoes break down - 3 to 4 minutes. Using a wooden spatula, mash the tomatoes until pulpy. Add the chicken stock to the pot. Add salt to taste and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes so that all the flavors blend together well.
Stir in the cilantro and lime juice and serve piping hot.
Be sure to add the cilantro leaves at the very last minute before serving, as the herb doesn't reheat too well.
Print this recipe