With the banana and chocolate left in lumps, the flavour comes when you bite them, giving surprise and pleasure.
- middle sized loaf pan, lined.
- 175gms caster sugar and light muscovado sugar mixed together.
- 175gms butter
- 175gms flour -Self Raising I guess though he didn't say.
- 2 eggs
- 75gms hazelnuts, toasted in dry frying pan, then ground
- 3 over ripe bananas
- 100gms dark chocolate, broken into chips
- Demerara sugar to top off cake prior to baking.
Set oven to 170 degrees C
Blend butter and sugar, mix flour with nuts and add to butter, sugar and eggs.
Break up bananas into small lumps. (not mashed)
Gently stir choc chips and bananas into rest of ingredients, gently add to lined loaf pan and put in oven for a good hour. Test before removing from oven, top should spring back when gently pressed.
Enjoy as cake or dessert with creme fraiche or similar.
Print this recipe
Source: Nigel Slater
Submitted By: Celia Harris
Nigel Slater's Black Banana Cake