To make ahead: The basic soup, without the cream, may be made hours or days ahead. It stores and freezes well.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound asparagus, green part only, cut into 1-to2-inch lenghts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
1. In a small bowl, place the sour cream and stir in the heavy cream. Cover and let rest at room temperature.
2. In a kettle over medium high heat, place the chicken broth and the asparagus pieces. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Puree in a blender or food processor, 2 cups at a time, or press through a sieve.
3. In the kettle over medium low heat, melt the butter and stir in the flour. Beating constantly, add the asparagus puree and cook, stirring until bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in milk. Stir combined creams into the soup, add salt and pepper, to taste, and mace, and heat to just below boiling.
To serve: Ladle into soup bowls.
Print this recipe
Source: A Feast of Soups
Submitted By: Joy Bowers
Cream of Asparagus Soup