I haven't made this my self but its as close as I could come. The browned butter/flour I assume was a thickner and could be done to thicken the soup.
- 2 lbs. tripe (partly cooked)
- 1 quart stock
- 1/4 tsp each chopped marjoram, thyme, chives, and rosemary
- 1 stalk each celery and parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 slice of bread
- salt and pepper
1. Cut tripe into strips and cook it for 1 hour in stock with the next 6 ingredients (through the bay leaf).
2. Peel and chop all other vegetables.
3. Heat the oil and butter and gently cook diced carrots, onion and potptoes for 5 minutes, add the tripe and 1 cup tripe stock. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
4. Add bread crumbs, tomato puree and some bread cubes, pour over the remaining stock.
5. Cook the soup for 1 hour on a moderate heat; taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve hot accompanied by crusty bread.
Print this recipe
Source: La Cucina Cookbook
Submitted By: Sheila Nelson
Trentino Tripe Soup