- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 lb lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans (14 oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale or Swiss chard leaves
- 1 can (15 or 19 oz) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half or regular half-and-half
1 In 4-quart nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towel. Crumble bacon; set aside. Remove and discard drippings from saucepan.
2 In same saucepan, cook sausage over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Drain well on paper towels; set aside.
3 In same saucepan, mix potatoes, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, pepper flakes, broth and water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cook uncovered about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4 Stir in bacon, sausage, kale and beans. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and kale are tender. Stir in half-and-half; cook just until heated.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Italian Soup - EBA
Italian Sausage Soup