Heat level is mild-medium. 30 minutes prep time.
- 24 oz pack frozen extra-large shrimp
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1-tbs chili powder
- 2-miniature bottles (2 oz) of premium tequila
- 1/2 red onion, chopped fine
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 small stalk celery, chopped fine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 fingerhot or serrano peppers, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning (you may use cilantro but I just don't care for it)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup raw long-grain rice
1) Defrost shrimp the day before, drain and rinse in colander.
2) Make steamed rice.
3) Heat olive oil in 4-qt saucier on medium, saute onion, celery, garlic.
4) Add shrimp, season with salt and pepper, saute 5 minutes until shells
5) Add remaining ingredients, mix, cover, simmer for 15 minutes, adjust
6) Serve about 9 shrimp with sauce over rice. Makes 4 servings.
Print this recipe