- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 15 oz. whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract or 1 tsp. lemon and/or tangerine baking oil
- 3 Tbsp. Meyer lemon zest, freshly grated*
- 1 Tbsp. Meyer lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. Meyer lemon juice
- Decorating sugar, silver dragees (small silver balls), optional
- *Meyer lemons are available mid-Nov. through early spring in specialty food stores. You will need 2 to 3 medium-sized lemons. Regular lemons can be substituted.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine butter and sugar in bowl; cream together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, Ricotta, lemon extract (or baking oil), zest and juice; blend well.
3. Add 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt; blend to combine. Add remaining flour in two parts, blending to combine between each, until a dough forms.
4. Drop by rounded Tbsp. 2 in. apart onto baking sheets. Bake until cookie edges are very light golden, about 12 to 15 min. Let cookies rest on baking sheet for a few min. and transfer to wire cooling rack.
5. While cookies cool, prepare glaze by creaming together butter and sugar. Continue to mix, gradually adding juice until desired consistency. Decorate cooled cookies adding dragees or decorating sugar, if desired, before icing sets.
Print this recipe