Piquantly cooled cranberries are layered between an exceptional crunchy crust and a sweet streusel topping in this golden cake. Orange juice concentrate accentuates the fresh berry flavor.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup undiluted frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup (11/2 ounces) chopped pecans
- Streusel Topping:
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9-inch pie pan.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to blend. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the orange juice concentrate in 2 increments, beating just until smooth. Stir in the cranberries and nuts. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
To make the streusel topping: In a small bowl or a food processor, combine the flour, butter, and sugar. Cut in the butter with your fingers or process until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the batter and stud with the nut halves.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then unmold right side up on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into wedges.
Print this recipe