You maybe inspired to save this luscious risotto for Thanksgiving (and you wouldn't be disappointed if you did so), but I urge you to throw caution to the wind and dive in. Because it is made with canned pumpkin, there is no need to wait until the frost is on the vine, and because the pumpkin naturally thickens the sauce, the risotto can be made with long-grain rice, rather than a more expensive risotto variety, like Arborio.
- 2 tablespoons butter, salted or unsalted
- 1/2 cup chopped onion, fresh or frozen
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, fresh or jarred organic
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 cup Libby's 100% pure pumpkin
- 1/4 cup grated imported Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup cream or half-and-half
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender; add the garlic and rice and saute for about 1 minute. Add 2 cups of the chicken broth, the salt, pepper, and nutmeg; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 cup broth and the pumpkin, and cook for another 5 minutes. The rice will be tender and slightly moist; remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and cream. Adjust the seasoning before serving.
Print this recipe