Turkey is the most traditional meat to use in mole - this recipe twists tradition by adding sweet potato.
- 4 turkey thighs, skinned
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 box (about 17 ounces) mole cooking sauce, such as Knorr, or 1/4 cup mole paste dissolved in 2 cups water
- 1 cup salsa, any heat level
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Season the turkey with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown the turkey on both sides. Remove to a plate. Add the onion and cook until it loses its raw look. Add the sweet potatoes and continue to cook until the onion and potatoes begin to brown. Add the mole, salsa, and water and heat to boiling. Reduce the heat so that the liquid simmers. Return the turkey to the pan, along with the juices that have collected on the plate. Cover and simmer until the turkey and potatoes are cooked through, about 45 minutes. Stir in the cilantro before serving.
Print this recipe