A stew featuring a fusion of Thai and Indonesian flavors. The very spicy Indonesian sambal sauce is tempered by a Thai tomato-mango base.
- 2-lbs. lean veal stew meat cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled, sliced into thin sticks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, sliced into thin sticks
- 1/2 large red onion, quartered
- 1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 large can diced tomatoes (I prefer Progresso brand), undrained
- 4 large fresh Jalapeno peppers, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 large fresh fingerhot peppers, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 thumb-size pieces of fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tbs. lime juice
- 2 tbs. soy sauce
- 1 tbs. molasses
- 2 tbs. dark sesame oil
- 1 large mango, pureed
- 1 large bok choy, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 box of your favorite Oriental noodles, or spaghetti, cooked al dente.
- Garnishes: cilantro sprigs, chopped peanuts, mango slices, tangerine
In a 4-quart pan, place the veal, water, salt, 4 cloves garlic, and large pieces of the celery, carrot, and onion. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 1 hour. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat and chill until needed.
Strain the broth, discard the veggies, and wash the pan. Return the broth to the pan and reduce the volume to one cup.
Cook the pasta, drain, and add one tablespoon sesame oil to the noodles and toss to coat. Return noodles to the pot and cover until needed.
In the same 4-quart pan with the broth, add all of the remaining ingredients except the veal, sesame oil, mango, bok choy, and noodles. Stir well and adjust seasoning to your taste. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except the noodles and toss the bok choy in the hot sauce until it is just wilted. Cover, and heat for a few minutes until the meat and sauce are hot.
Add the noodles to a large pasta serving bowl. Add the finished stew to the pasta and toss well. If desired, garnish with any or all of the above selections. Serves 4-6. Enjoy!
Fortitudo Et Macto (Strength And Honor)
Motto of the Roman Legions
Print this recipe