Rich, velvety, and smooth, this spring or summer soup can be served hot or cold, and is delicious with warm tortillas or tortilla chips served with tomato salsa cruda and fresh Mexican cheese. The piquant green peppercorns in brine balancethe richness of the avocados and add just the right amount of zing.
- 1 medium onion, cut in medium dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 large ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 quarts light chicken stock
- 1/3 cup green peppercorns in brine, drained (reserve a few for garnish)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
In a large saucepan, cook the onion, garlic, and spices in the olive oil over moderate heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the avocados and chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook for 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
Purée the soup mixture in a blender until very smooth. Transfer back to the saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the peppercorns and salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook for 10 minutes. Serve with a garnish of cilantro and a few peppercorns.
Print this recipe