Paired with a tossed green salad, this tartare makes a perfect luncheon dish alone, or a great starter for spring and summer dinners.
- 1 lb. very fresh skinless salmon fillets
- 2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Fine sea salt to taste
- 3 firm, ripe tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion
- 2 T fromage blanc (or substitute whole-milk yogurt)
- 4 T finely minced fresh chives
- Freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1 cucumber, rinsed and trimmed
1. Up to five hours before serving this dish, carefully cut the fish into 1/4 inch cubes. Transfer to a small bowl and toss with the lemon juice. Season to taste with salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time.
2. Place the drained tomatoes in a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl to drain. Season with salt, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time.
3. At serving time, peel and very finely mince the onion. In a large bowl, combine the salmon, tomatoes, fromage blanc and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Slice the cucumbers into thin rounds and arrange in an overlapping circle on a small salad plate. Spoon the tartare on top of the cucumbers. Repeat for the remaining portions. Serve.
Print this recipe