This recipe is a tried and true family favorite. Enjoy!
- 1 Pound ground beef, ground sausage, or 1/2 pound of both (I usually use both)
- 1 can, 28 ounces, San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 cans, 28 Ounces each, tomato sauce (I use Contadina because it's not bitter)
- 1 Tablespoon Amore tomato paste (This comes in a tube)
- 1 small onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed & minced
- Basil, oregano, Italian Seasoning, and parsley
- 1 pound ricotta
- 1 cup parmesan
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- 1 pound mozzarella
- fresh mushrooms
- lasagne noodles (usually a box and a half)
Brown beef/sausage in olive oil along with finely chopped onion and minced garlic. Drain beef/sausage but save the oil for the sauce. Refridgerate beef/sausage until ready to put the lasagne together.
Heat tomato paste in pan grease until it's thinned out a bit. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, and the spices. Cook on medium for at least 4 hours. (If you like, add half a bottle of good quality wine. Remember, if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it. The better the wine, the better the sauce.)
Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan, parsley, and egg in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Cook lasagne noodles. Pour 1/2 ladle sauce on the bottom of the lasagne pan so the noodles won't stick. First layer of noodles go lengthwise in the pan. Make sure that they overlap. Sprinkle some beef/sausage on top of the noodles. Put a teaspoon of ricotta mix every few inches along the noodles. Sprinkle some mozzarella on top and cover with sauce.
The next layer of pasta should go crosswise.
Repeat each step until you use all ingredients. Layer noodles on the top. Cover with sauce and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Heat in a 350 degree oven for about an hour.
Print this recipe