We like to serve this soup for lunch, followed by fennel salad and a piece of cheese.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup whole canned Italian tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chopped Savoy cabbage
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper or hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound Italian sweet sausages
- 1/2 cup rice
- Grated Parmesan cheese or extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and parsley. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the tomatoes break up. Add the water, cabbage, celery, carrot, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and boil gently for 15 minutes.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Prick the sausages and cook them in the skillet for about 10 minutes, until they are brown all over. Remove the sausages and slice.
Add the rice and sausages to the soup and continue cooking until the rice is tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve each portion with grated cheese or a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Print this recipe