- 4 to 6 cups mesquite wood chips
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon hot-style mustard
- Dash ground red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 2 to 3 pound fresh beef brisket
- 1 cup catsup
- 3/4 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped tomato (1 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1. At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Meanwhile, for brushing sauce, mix wine, the 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, oil, vinegar, coriander, mustard, red pepper, and garlic. Set aside. For rub, combine seasoned salt, paprika, and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
2. Trim fat from meat. Rub paprika mixture evenly onto meat. Drain wood chips. In a grill with a cover arrange preheated coals for indirect grilling. Sprinkle some wood chips onto coals. Test for slow heat where meat will cook. Place meat on a rack in a roasting pan on the grill rack. Cover and grill for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or till very tender. Every 30 minutes or as needed, brush meat with brushing sauce and add more briquettes and drained wood chips, Discard any remaining brushing sauce.
3. Meanwhile, for serving sauce, in a saucepan combine catsup, tomato, sweet pepper, onion, brown sugar, steak sauce, the 1 to 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon black peppeir. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes or till sweet pepper is crisp-tender.
4. To serve, thinly slice meat across the grain. Arrange meat on plates and top with some of the serving sauce. Pass the remaining sening sauce. Makes 12 servings.
Print this recipe