- "This cake is usually served at Hanukkah. The cream cheese in the batter gives the cake lots of moisture. Because it's so tender, use a serrated knife for cutting."
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup stick margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups chopped peeled Rome apple (about 2 large) (OR Cortland, etc).
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (325 F for dark pans).
Beat 1-1/2 cups sugar, margarine, vanilla, and cream cheese at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Combine 2 tablespoons cinnamon mixture and apple in a bowl, and stir apple mixture into batter.
Pour batter into an 8-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture.
Bake for about 1 hour or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack, and cut using a serrated knife.
YIELD: 12 servings
calories: 281 carbohydrates: 46.3 g cholesterol: 39 mg fat: 8.7 g sodium: 234 mg protein: 4.8 g calcium: 89 mg iron: 1.1 mg fiber: 1.2 g
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Meryl