Rating Difficulty: easy to moderate. Time: 30 minutes preparation, 1 hour baking and cooling, 10 minutes frosting. Precision: measure the ingredients.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 cup walnuts, finely grated
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1 cup oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp
- hot water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup strawberry, apricot or raspberry jam
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
(1) Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Cream together egg yolks and 1 cup of the sugar until the yolk color lightens. Stir in carrots, nuts, flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and oil.
(2) Mix together hot water and soda and stir into flour mixture.
(3) Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar. Beat until stiff and glossy.
(4) Fold egg white mixture into flour mixture.
(5) Turn mixture into a greased 13x9-inch pan lined with greased wax paper and bake for 45 minutes or until done. Cool.
(6) Slice in half horizontally, to form two layers.
(7) Make the cream cheese filling: soften the cream cheese and beat in the sugar, mixing gradually, until the filling is smooth and fluffy. A food processor works well for this.
(8) Cover bottom layer with cream cheese filling, then cover cream cheese layer with jam. Place the top layer of the cake carefully on top of the jam.
(9) Make the frosting: beat the whipping cream until slightly stiff, then add the sugar and beat the mixture to stiff peaks. Frost the entire cake with whipped cream.
Print this recipe
Source: Gary L. Scott
Submitted By: Hardy Haberman
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Filling