- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup castor (super fine) sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
1. Have eggs at room temperature.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff and shiny.
3. Gradually add sugar and cornstarch and beat until thick.
4. Fold in vinegar or lemon juice.
5. Spoon onto a piece of brown paper cut to the shape of the pavolva.
I've seen people use a paper bag ,cut into a circle about 10 inches in diameter. Be sure the edges of the pavolva are higher than the middle, so you have a place to put your whipped cream and fruit.
6. Bake in a slow oven, 250 - 300 degrees F for 2 hours.
7. When cold, decorate with whipped cream and
fruit of your chioce.
Kiwi fruit, strawberries, pineapple, mandarine orange segments, and bananas are all good choices. You can make it a plain or as fancy as you want.Good luck with this. I never made one, but lived in Australia for many years and have seen pavolvas made, and I ate my fair share too.I know the instructions are sketchy, but I added a few helpful hints (so just think what the original instructions are like!!!)
Print this recipe
Source: The Common Sense Cookery Book
Submitted By: Sue