- 1 dl (1/2 cup, 4 ounces) olive oil
- Approx. 1 1/2 kg (2 1/2-3 pound)chicken, cut in small serving pieces
- 1 head garlic, minus 2 cloves, minced
- 1 dl (1/2 cup, 4 ounces) water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Few strands saffron or pinch powdered saffron, diluted and crushed in very small amount of water
Heat oil in large skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook over moderate heat until golden brown. Place chicken pieces in large, shallow casserole. Salt. Pour off all but 4 tablespoons of oil in skillet. Sauti garlic. Stir in water and bring to boil. Pour over chicken. Add lemon juice and saffron. Cook, covered, over low heat about 15 minutes or until meat is tender. Serve, spooning sauce over chicken.
We suggest a light, dry red wine, for example Torres Coronas from Catalonia or Seqormo de Sarria from Navarra.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Meryl
Chicken in Garlic Sauce (Pollo al Ajillo)