- 7 ounces fresh mild goat cheese (chhvre)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 9 ounces whole-milk ricotta
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely minced orange zest
- Fresh berries, peaches, (pitted and sliced into eighths), or sweet, ripe figs for garnish
- 9 1/2 inch prebaked tart shell
Preheat oven to 350 F. For filling, place chhvre and sugar in food processor and process until very smooth, about 15-20 seconds. Add ricotta and combine thoroughly another 6-10 seconds. Add eggs, vanilla, and orange zest, and process until well mixed, about 10 seconds. Pour filling into a 9 1/2 inch prebaked tart shell, and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or just until the center is set and firm. Do not let filling boil, or the eggs will scramble. Cool.
To unmold, center the tart on top of large can, so that it balances midair as the rim of the tart pan falls to the counter. Leave bottom of pan under the tart for support, or slide the tart onto a serving plate by running a large metal spatula between the crust and the pan.
This tart is best served at room temperature the day it is baked. Serve each slice surrounded by fresh berries and summer fruit.
Yields 8 to 10 servings
Print this recipe
Source: Desserts: Mediterranean Flavors California Style
Submitted By: Meryl
Goat Cheese and Ricotta Tart