- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces chourigo sausage, diced
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 pound kale or collard greens, cut into very fine julienne
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent. Add the garlic and half the chourigo and cook for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cover everything with the water, bring to a boil and lower the heat, simmering until the potatoes are almost done, about 15 minutes.
2. When the soup is cool enough to handle, purie it in the food processor and return to the pot. Add the greens, bring everything back to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls and garnish with the remaining cubes of chourigo.
by Chef John Villa
Recipe adapted by Irene Sax
Print this recipe
Source: NY Daily News
Submitted By: Meryl
Caldo Verde (Portuguese Kale Soup)