- "This recipe is from our "Thai-American" section, which contains dishes that would not typically be found in Thailand. These dishes have been developed and/or popularized in America."
- Chicken Salad with Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette, Thai-American style
- 2 cups teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup minced gingerroot
- 1/4 cup tamarind paste (mix 1-2 tbsp tamarind concentrate and balance with water)
- 1/4 cup chili paste
- 1/4 cup garlic paste
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 cup short-grained rice
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- 3/4 pound cooked chicken, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
Combine teriyaki sauce, ginger, tamarind paste, chile paste and garlic paste in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat. Stir well so tamarind paste is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool before using. In a food processor, combine peanut butter, 6 tablespoons of the tamarind mixture, rice wine vinegar and cilantro. With the motor running, add peanut oil gradually, until combined. Set aside. Cook rice according to package directions; set aside to cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, blanch broccoli for 1 minute. Quickly remove from hot water and immerse in ice water; drain well. Repeat procedure with carrots and with asparagus (leave red pepper raw). Drain all vegetables and pat dry with a towel. In a small bowl toss chicken in remaining tamarind mixture and allow to marinate for 5 to 10 minutes until you are ready to assemble. To assemble salad, divide rice among four plates. Divide and arrange vegetables and chicken around rice. Drizzle peanut vinaigrette over all and garnish with chopped peanuts.
Print this recipe
Submitted By: Meryl
Chicken Salad with Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette, Thai