Great recipe. I might shorten the cooking time a bit, especially if using the slow simmer approach. I might also decrease the vinegar just a bit. However, this is a one pot, no bowls, easily prepared recipe which is
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled,cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 ripe tomatoes, chopped (or 1 large can crushed tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
1 Combine all ingredients in a large enameled or stainless steel pot.
2 Bring to a healthy simmer, stirring occasionally.
3 You can cook this over low heat uncovered for about an hour, or cover it and cook it over very low heat for several hours.
4 The slow stewing method blends the flavors very nicely, and the caponata is great reheated.
5 Serve with garlic bread or croistini.
6 If you decide to freeze this, it will stay for 2 months.
Print this recipe
Source: The net
Submitted By: lee.M kaye