A special appetizer for a family gathering or outside party. Other smoked seafood can be used.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons fresh dill, shopped
- 1 Tablespoon grated onion
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup smoked trout, flaked
- 1 cup smoked shrimp, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
In a large bowl, soften the gelatin in the cold water. Stir in the boiling water and stir until the gelatin is dissolved. Add the mayonnaise (or yogurt), dill, onion, lemon and lime juices, cayenne pepper, paprika, and salt and pepper and whisk until blended. Divide this mixture into two separate bowls. Fold the smoked trout into 1 bowl; fold the smoked shrimp into the other. Whip the cream to soft peaks and fold 1/2 into each bowl.
Layer the 2 mousses in separate molds or 1 large clear glass bowl. Chill overnight, covered. Unmold and garnish with marinated tomato salad, dill, and crackers.
Print this recipe
Source: The Inn on the Common.>Vermont
Submitted By: Lee.M Kaye
Smoked Seafood Mousse