Hints: 1. The thinner the layers of eggplant the better. 2. The more layers the better. 3. The number of eggplant will depend on the size of the pan. Two will go a long way - probably a 9x13 pan. It's a great dish. Good luck.
- 2 cups of basic tomato sauce (meatless)
- 2 medium sized egglplants
- vegetable oil for frying
- grated parmesan cheese
- mozzarella chees
1. Prepare a basic tomato sauce and set aside.
2. To prepare eggplant, first slice thinly. Pierce slices with fork. Salt and peppet each slice. Dip each slice in flour then in beaten eggs. Fry in vegetable oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
3. Begin layering the parmigiana in a 'lasagna' pan. Start with sauce on the bottom of the pan (not too much sauce). Then place a layer of eggplant on the bottom of the pan. Spoon more sauce over the eggplant (again not too much sauce). Then add thin slices of mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese. Start again with a layer of eggplant. In total, you want 3-5 layers. On the last layer, the topping should be only sauce and grated cheese.
4. The final (and most important) step is to pour another 1 or 2 beaten eggs over the entire dish. Use any leftover from when you prepared the eggplant. This will work its way into the crevices of the dish.
5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 - 45 minutes at 350F.
Print this recipe
Source: Family Recipe
Submitted By: Claudina Sula