Lorraine's Note: I don't add salt because the rice mix has a lot of salt in it. This makes enough to fill 2 gallon size freezer bags & it freezes well. *If you can't find this, Zatarain's Dirty Rice works quite well, others will do.
- 5 cups water, chicken or beef broth
- 2 package. Oak Grove Smokehouse Dirty Rice Mix*
- 2 1/2 lbs. ground round,
- 3 bunches chopped green onions, with tops
- minced garlic or garlic powder to taste
- 1 small finely chopped green pepper
- crushed red pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 lbs. spicy smoked sausage
Bring broth to a boil. Add dirty rice mix, stir; return to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 20 minutes.
Pour cooked rice mix into very large bowl.
Brown ground round with onions, garlic, green pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Do not drain.
Cut sausage into 1/2 inch slices and then again in half or into quarters. Brown and drain.
Mix all together in bowl with rice and let set at least 2 hours for flavors to blend in, then adjust seasonings to taste.
Print this recipe
Source: Lorraine Mosley
Submitted By: Jan ,
Lorraine Mosley's Dirty Rice