- 1/2 lb(227 grams) lean beef
- 1/2 lb.(227 grams) pork
- 1 large head white cabbage, shredded
- 1 large tomato, quartered
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 5 cups (1.2 liters) vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(1.2ml) freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream
1. Place beef, pork, cabbage, tomato and onion in a large, heavy kettle.
2. Add stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for several hours or until meat is tender.
3. Remove the meat from the soup, slice it and arrange it on a platter.
4. Pour soup into a hot tureen and garnish with several dollops of sour cream. Serve the soup in individual bowls at the table and pass meat platter.
Serving Suggestions For a hearty lunch: With sour black bread and butter, and a stein of beer, followed by a dessert of vanilla custard and either coffee or tea.
Print this recipe
Source: Great Cooking Ideas
Submitted By: Linda Wilson
Russian Cabbage Soup