- Boil, Reduce, and strain:
- 1 cup pure Maple Syrup
- 1 cup apple juice
- 3 strips lemon peel
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean split, scraped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Return to pan, Whisk in:
- 1 T. dark rum
- 1/2 t. salt
- Combine and Add:
- 4 t. cornstarch
- 1 T. apple juice
- 8 pork breakfast sausage links, fried, cut into chunks
- 3 cu. apple slices, peeled or unpeeled (about 3 apples)1/4-inch half- moons**
- 1/4 cup dark raisins (optional)
Get a head start on the toppings by making the Maple-Rum Sauce the night before.
Boil, reducing first 6 ingredients to 1 1/2 cups, 5 to 7 minutes. Strain and return to pan.
Add rum and salt, return to a boil. Combine cornstarch and juice in a small bowl, then whisk into syrup to thicken.
Reheat Maple-Rum Sauce, Add and heat through the cooked sausage, apple slices and raisins, if using them.
Print this recipe
Source: Cuisine-Waffle toppings
Submitted By: Eileen Werth
Apple Topping in Maple Rum- Sauce